June 30, 2013

Amish Custard Pie

I love going to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It is an area of the northeast with a large population of Amish people. Amish people are kind and many keep a distance from the 'English' (anyone not Amish) but they are wonderful craftspeople and incredibly hardworking. Amish food is always hearty, delicious and unprocessed. I found this recipe for a custard pie and I knew that I had to try it.

Amish Custard Pie
Courtesy of: http://www.mrfood.com/Pie/Amish-Bakery-Custard-Pie/ml/1

Serves 8 (one 8 inch pie)

Ingredients

One prepared pie crust
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups half and half
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed, light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and half and half. Keep on medium heat, whisking often. Don't make the mistake that I did by leaving your pan to take pictures for your blog... The bottom on my pan had a thick coating of starch and sugar when I went back. Once the mixture is bubbling and thick, take your pan off the heat.


Immediately, add the butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until butter is melted and contents of your pan are homogeneous. Pour custard into prepared pie plate. Sprinkle a light dusting of cinnamon on top. By the way, I poured my custard through a sieve in order to get the clumps of starch out. I successfully rescued my pie.


Bake for 35 minutes. The center will not be set. Allow the pie to cool for 1 hour and then refrigerate for 7-8 hours. The time in the refrigerator will allow the pie to set. You can let it sit in the refrigerator longer, obviously, but be sure to cover your pie.




This pie is definitely a keeper. I let the pieces sit at room temperature for a little bit before eating. The flavor is milky with a beautiful hint of cinnamon. It was enjoyed by all. I do wish it was a little less sweet. I don't know if less sugar would impact the consistency. My guess is that it would because there are no eggs in this recipe. If you pair it with some tea or coffee then it will be perfect! This recipe is most certainly simple thanks to using a prepared pie crust. It took me about 20 minutes from start to finish before putting it in the oven. Now, Amish food is unprocessed so you must be asking, 'why use a prepared pie crust?' Why? Because, Ain't Nobody Got Time For That! Hahaha. If you have a recipe for homemade pie crust then I encourage you to use that. I still have never made pie crust from scratch, but that's for another adventure!

I hope you enjoy this recipe from the Amish!

No comments: